Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dangly Bits


 So, I've been thinking about things recently, and one of the things that my beloved pointed out is that we both tend to play to the energy of the room. So, when our home is either a mess or a blank slate energetically  we don't react as well to it. Once I set up the house altar, things started to improve because it helped to regulate and radiate the energy of the house.

 It got me thinking, "Ok, what else can we do to make this the norm?" And thus, DANGLY BITS!



 I made the chords for each of these using a technique that I developed when I first started to crochet rune bags with embroidery floss/crochet thread. In order to illustrate the rune, I would slip a series of tiny (and seriously, I mean TINY.These things make my eyes hurt after a while) rhinestone beads onto the chord prior to starting the bag. Then, as I crocheted, I would slip each beads into it's proper stitch. This made the rune slant just slightly to the left, but it worked!

 So, I did the same thing here. I strung the beads onto  a spool of rainbow crochet thread, but instead of crocheting, I cut off 4 long pieces of crochet thread, one strand with beads and three without. Then, I did a simple four point braid, slipping a bead into the mix every 5-9 crossovers. If you're wondering about the 4 strand braid technique, try this!



 Anyway, about a week ago, I found a fallen oak branch. I brought it home and found the section I needed. What happened next was out of my hands. Each stone and each chord knew where it wanted to be. I just made sure everything fell into place. The end result, well...




 But the next question became painfully clear as my dear kitty decided to be 'helpful' during this process: where on earth can I put this so that my cats can't get to it? I mean really, shiny bits hanging down on colorful cording? CAT. TOY. My Maine Coon is the MacGyver of cat kind. He works doorknobs, breaks open his food bin, he knows how to turn on faucets, he even knows how to pick things out of cups or bowls with his paw.

 So, I used another old friend. A 20lb geode that has followed me for the past 10 years. He's a grumpy old soul, but he keeps things well-grounded. So now he sit on the top of a bookshelf, the end of this oaken branch in his care. He holds it tight as the rest dangles off into space, catching and rolling every bit of light that touches it. They want me to write them a song. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment