Friday, May 9, 2014

Music, Magic, and Bread

After discovering my family’s Jewish heritage, one of my goals became perfecting the art of Challah. With decades of baking experience and practice, I figured it wouldn't be terribly hard. But I’d never made bread before, and this one fought me! My first batch was an overall success, though I did have to sacrifice a dishcloth during the rising process. My second try was better. I went from one enormous loaf to two smaller ones. Another dishcloth sacrifice, and two successful loaves. Next up, it’s time for turban challah! One large one with golden raisins, and as many tiny dinner-roll -sized ones as a single batch will yield. My given understanding made it work, but I still had a doughy fight on my hands…literally!

Natural ability is one of the great nibblet treasures in life, but it can only take one so far. It’s something I’ve lived on for a good chunk of my life. The music my mother gave me is strong, but it took years to master the violin. After my jaw broke down, converting that knowledge to the Mandolin took time. The frustration of it was strong, though thankfully my stubborn streak remains stronger. I was put off slightly by my own bafflement at guitar. Merging the knowledge prior to that blockage with what I knew of violin became an even greater challenge. I’d never had success with picks before now. Thankfully, my husband is a good and patient teacher.

This same principle, I’ve found, applies to the magics in my life. They require practice and nurturing, much like bread. The ingredients are all there, but how they are combined is essential. The energies that we allow into our lives are as important as what we do with them. For bread to rise, the circumstances must be right. The energies of our lives flow best when we are surrounded by that which we love, respect, and honor. A place of stillness and quiet, with just the right amount of movement. Be that music, drums, or simply the sound of our own breathing. This blog was built for some of that rising process.

Once risen, the dough must be kneaded, shaped into that which will bake best. Energy by itself is much like raw talent. It takes many forms, and can do so much by itself. But shaped, studied, learned from, it can be a tool that allows us insight, shows us what we are truly capable of. And once the shape has been taken, only trial by fire will do. That which is worthy survives. That which is not, burns and make your kitchen stink for a week. And can make your spirits smell just as burnt.

And in the end, the result is the same. Nourishment requires nourishing. Now, time for more flour-packed fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment